Friday, October 29, 2010

font font font (that's the sound fonts make)


Okay, apparently it is typography week on the internet or something, or possibly it's just one of those things where the interrelatedness of the universe pounds me in the face for a while. Either way, there are letters coming at me from all directions lately. I've just started a class called "history of books and publishing" and it has me doing things like memorizing font families and comparing axes and serifs, and also my host father words at a printing press. Add in the many churches of Paris with their gift shops full of calligraphy kits that I have to resist buying (Do you know how many calligraphy kits I was given as a child? It was a lot. I guess I was just a kid that seemed like I should be writing something.) and perhaps you will understand that at the moment my brain is saturated in words.

So here are some letter-related things that I like at the moment.

Daily Drop Cap
is a blog that puts up a new big illuminated letter every day. There's a link to this on here somewhere already, because sometimes I use them in blog posts, until I get overcome with minimalism and take them all out. But anyway, a lot of them are really good. (This is the person responsible for the above image too, look at those birds!)

A video, via Design*Sponge:

Legacy of Letters from Luca Barcellona on Vimeo.


Aughh, where are all my calligraphy pens? (Short answer: in another country) Really though, those things got in my way for years but every time I wanted them they disappeared.

Also from Design*Sponge, typeface contest! I might enter this just to give myself something fun to work on during this break.

Poppytalk does Font Fridays, which are what they sound like. I keep adding these to my computer even though I know I'll never use them.

Font Generator - I haven't actually used this, because I don't have a scanner, but it's been living in my bookmarks for a million years because I feel like I should have the option at all times. You know, for the times when I might really need a font of my handwriting. It could happen.

ABC Button Font - I can't get this to work on my computer, but maybe you can. Pretty cool though.

No comments:

Post a Comment