Thursday, October 14, 2010

a list of ten things I think should be socially acceptable

1. bare feet in public establishments. I don't actually know what the reasoning behind this one is. I saw a web site or something once where some people did some intense research and figured out that being barefoot inside a store isn't actually illegal in most states. But one time I had to go to the store unexpectedly and wasn't wearing any shoes, and it was maybe the most uncomfortable thing I have ever done.

2. similarly, women taking their shirts off in public. I'm not sure how they're still getting away with this one.

3. adults playing pretend. I just feel like this would make the world a slightly nicer place to live. Also, nobody yell "LARP" at me here, because I am sorry but as much as I like public swordfighting (hello, I am taking a fencing class, did you know that) it is not socially acceptable. Also, this.

4. related: public costume wearing. Now, this is the kind of thing that I feel like I'm going to end up doing whether or not it's acceptable or not, particularly because by my own definition most of my regular clothing counts as costume and it's a slippery slope between "dressed kinda funny" and "pirate costume." But it really does make me happy when, for instance, I see a kid going to school in a Superman costume. I have a deep and undying love for halloween, but I want to be able to get up and go, "Today I'm going to be a pirate. Oh, and I'm going to the library." And! Not but, AND.

5. being extremely blunt. Do you know how much easier my life would be if I could just be like, "Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about." "Do we know each other well enough for me to hug you?" "There's nothing wrong with this food, but I really don't like it."

6. pointing out cool things to strangers. Once I was on a bus with somebody I was sort of friends with, and I was looking out the window and suddenly, without thinking, I turned to her, pointed out the window like a small child, and said, "LOOK, A BIPLANE!" And when rather than being confused and awkward she actually looked, I knew we were destined for greatness.

7. men wearing their hair in two braids. I actually don't know why this should be acceptable. I just think it would be interesting I guess.

8. related: men wearing dresses/skirts. This one's just not fair. If I had to wear pants all the time I think I'd be pretty angry about it.

9. climbing on things. Okay, this is pretty weird, but I do this a lot. I remember my mom coming into my room when I was little and being unable to find me for a few minutes before realizing I was on top of the chest of drawers. In middle school, whenever I got out of class for some project, I used to sit on top of the lockers. I suspect that the only things keeping me from climbing up the exquisitely beautiful lampposts here is fear of getting arrested in a language I don't know that well, and the fact that I'm too short to reach most of them.

10. eating food with your hands. The basic rule in France is that if it's hot, you need silverware. There are exceptions to this (street-vendor crepes, some sandwiches), but generally speaking, you will eat your pizza with a knife and fork.* Which is just silly, because pizza practically has a handle. If I were responsible, I think my rule would be "if it's physically impossible or severely unpleasant to hold, you need silverware." Which pretty much rules out soup and pudding. Pancakes are a matter of choice. And that's how I like it.



*Unrelated story: once in high school I walked by two kids having a conversation and all I heard was one of them saying , "He told me he thought I was gay because I eat my pizza with a knife and fork."

No comments:

Post a Comment